Here is what the Met Gala is all about
Every year, the first Monday of May marks an important occasion in the world of fashion across the globe. Anyone who is even remotely connected with fashion keeps themselves glued in front of their TV sets or mobile phones to get a glimpse of what is happening in this glittering event in New York. That is the Met Gala for you!
Organised every year by Vogue magazine, the annual Met Gala is not any ordinary fashion event, but a global fashion phenomenon whose fan following runs in millions!
Here is all you wanted to know about the Met Gala event.
- The Met Gala is organised every year by fashion magazine Vogue. While it was held at different venues earlier, for the past few years, it is being conducted at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Costume Institute located on Fifth Avenue, New York.
- The Met Gala as we know it today was started in 1948 as an annual fundraising event by famous publicist Eleanor Lambert for the newly opened Costume Institute. It charged a fee of $50 for every attendee including dinner. Today, this fee has reached $50,000! The entire fee is used by the Costume Institute as a donation.
- Being a fashion event, the Met Gala always attracted celebrities and New York’s elite. Since 1972, the event location was permanently shifted to the Metropolitan Museum of Arts and was also renamed Met Gala. Since then the event also started attracting global elite and international celebrities.
- Met Gala chooses a theme every year which is expected to be followed by the guests, and the guests are expected to follow it, but not mandated. For instance, this year’s theme was “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty.” This theme was chosen as a tribute to the late fashion designer who died in 2019.
- Every year the Met Gala is hosted by famous personalities who have reached the zenith in their respective fields. This year it was hosted by actresses Penelope Cruz & Michaela Coel, Tennis ace Roger Federer, and singer Dua Lipa along with the Costume Institute’s Chairperson and Vogue’s Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour.
- Over the years, the Met Gala has become famous for two things. First is for not revealing what goes inside, atleast officially. And two, the famous red carpet walk by celebrities. Officially, no pictures or even videos of the event inside are released. The secrecy level is so high that anyone walking inside the Metropolitan Museum is asked to switch off their cell phones!
- However, some celebrities have fashionably broken this ‘no-cell phone’ rule and have published inside pictures many times. It seems that the event has exhibits displayed by prominent designers, followed by multiple entertainment performances by high-profile celebrities and ending with a sit-down dinner.
- The guest list for the Gala is always kept a secret. While the guest knows this in advance, the media and the rest of the world are informed just the previous evening. These guests receive special invites from the Met Gala organising team. For instance, for the Met GALA 2023, there were four prominent Indian invitees. They were Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Alia Bhatt, Isha Ambani and Natasha Poonawala.
They say that the world of fashion knows no boundaries. However, it is the events like the Met Gala which actually break the boundaries and makes fashion truly international
By this time you must have heard that the Met Gala 2023 was a grand success. But what exactly is the Met Gala all about. Here is all you wanted to know about the Met Gala event.