In the year In the year Eleven tank cars containing hazardous materials ignited a fuel fire, damaging an additional twelve derailed train cars. The derailment was caused by an overheated rolling stock and footage even showed sparks flying from under the train before the tragic derailment.
Although there were no human deaths, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources estimated that more than 43,000 animals were dead in and around East Palestine three weeks later. Train disruption.
Officials estimate that more than 38,222 and about 5,550 other species — such as other fish, crayfish and amphibians — were killed within five miles of the disaster.
“This accident was 100% preventable and … there is no accident … every incident we investigate is preventable,” said Safety Board Chair Jennifer Homendi. Making sure this doesn’t happen again.
Unfortunately, the horrific and preventable accident raised major concerns as investigators went through endless procedures, drills, and raised concerns in East Palestine, Ohio, but this major incident has no doubt raised concerns in other railroad regions as well: What it takes . Are the risks of this event in our region?
Five of the thirty-eight rail cars contained more than 115,000 gallons of vinyl chloride, and exposure to high levels of vinyl chloride can increase the risk of cancer and even cause death.
Residents are complaining that they feel sick after hazardous chemicals seep into the air, water and soil in their communities. The residents are experiencing headaches, dizziness, runny nose and other health problems that they did not have before the accident.
More worryingly, a recent study from Texas A&M University and Carnegie Mellon found that nine out of 50 chemicals have health risks and consequences for residents. They also highlighted the chemical risks of acrolein, which is a serious eye, mucous membrane, respiratory and skin irritant. The nine chemicals identified are all of concern and are known to significantly increase cancer risks.
The cleanup is now well underway and more than 1.7 million gallons of contaminated liquid have been removed from the crash site. Also, more than 5,000 cubic yards of soil was removed, and most of it went to the U.S. Ecology Way disposal site in Michigan, although it appears to be an ineffective link to the state of Michigan, raising further concerns about operational practices.
How can Artificial Intelligence (AI) help in such disasters?
There are many AI strategies that can be implemented To prevent rail car accidents and improve health and safety. Here are a few I thought of:
- Internet of Things (IoT) sensors deploy SMARTER technology It can be installed in all rail cars and rails to detect overheating hazards and provide automatic safety controls and rely only on human intervention. BlackBerry Radar State-of-the-art embedded sensors connect to the Internet of Things platform, which integrates sensor data, performs analytics, and communicates data to applications. Other new temperature sensor technology from Sensata, can monitor the temperature of railways and this data set can be combined with Blackberry data set, a very powerful analytical AI dashboard. These apps recommend actions and detect potential problems before they occur.
- 360 AI environment prediction model design – Monitor all health risks arising from this risk in environmental risks, health risks in the local community. A well-designed AI model can predict total cost risks, # of health risks, and community support needs due to this risk.
- Establishing a 7×24 surveillance intelligence system for citizen participation – Provide an app for all citizens by identifying sentiments, concerns and analyzing all spoken words and tracking sentiments over time and analyzing different stakeholders so that all concerned citizens can get a daily health and safety check, identifying sentiments, concerns and using AI Natural Language Processing (NLP) methods for all citizens groups . Event selection doesn’t provide real-time daily insights or often these old market research methods don’t, apply advanced AI intelligence methods. In addition, these new systems can automatically classify patterns and predict risks.
- Manage all internet and social media communications Concerns about political stakeholders using ecological impact mapping for advanced patterning.
- Invest in water system intelligence Monitoring chemicals and soil health hazards using AI.
- Deploy intelligent workforce or citizen engagement solutions For Norfolk Southern Railway to track both employee (internal) sentiment and also (external) customer sentiment. Threats to mental health and safety can seriously affect company employees in such dire situations. Health and safety is a key priority for companies like Canadian Railways: CN train Being fit to serve is a priority as post-Covid raises many issues/concerns around health and mental well-being. Check out my previous posts here. Other leading companies focused on health and wellness (thinking AI solutions) can be found over here. Emotional intelligence is becoming a big business because it predicts the future on many levels.
- Analyze all health and safety policies across all rail companies and let AI help decide and build the best one. See Transport Canada’s best policy here. The USA Health and Transportation Health and Safety Policy is available here.
This horrific railway accident could have been prevented with better intelligence and methods. Artificial intelligence can help modernize the rail industry and prevent accidents like the one in Palestine, Ohio. Seven examples have been identified and there is no question in my mind that AI can be a modernization strategy to create a more intelligent society in Palestine, Ohio. Government and industry support is much needed to bring forward better AI innovations to help plan for a better future for this societal scourge, but it also creates an opportunity for an innovative learning lab to create a model smart society for the rail industry as a whole. To be proud.
Rapidly developing a comprehensive and integrated AI strategy and creating tailored solutions allows diverse stakeholders to create a strong sense of community purpose – and most importantly, track what’s on the minds of all stakeholders. This update alone is a very smart strategy to advance the improvement journey that ensures intelligence and awareness.
Moseley, Stirling, February 24, 2023 Groundbreaking researchers make shocking findings on the ultimate health effects of hazardous chemicals in eastern Palestine. DC Enquirer.
Norfolk Southern Railway derailment following hazardous material release and fires Source (first report)
follow back Twitter Or LinkedIn. check out mine website Or my other work over here.