Happy Friday, friends. I’m Diamond Naga Siu, and I’m excited for Mother’s Day this weekend.
I pride myself on being a good gift giver, but I’m late to gift buying this year. If you haven’t bought a gift yet, check out these 43 last-minute gifts you can get before Sunday (I’m obviously looking at the pickleball starter kit).
But before I go panic shopping, let’s dive into today’s technology.
If this was sent to you, Register here. Download the Insider app over here.
1. Generate photos and videos from text. Forget ChatGPT. My colleague Lakshmi Varanasi tried Rainway, a buzz AI service that can generate full videos from just a text request. In fact, everything was used everywhere all at once to create some scenes in the film.
- Lakshmi tried different runway outfits. She asked him to make pictures of “pink oranges and orange roses scattered across the Mojave Desert.” Lakshmi also tasked her with generating 100 “photographs” of her (the photo above is one of them).
- She finds that using Runway is similar to using OpenAI’s controversial Dall-E 2 or Stable Diffusion – impressive but not perfect. (Here are 44 more creative AI companies, by the way)
- Lakshmi has experimented with using text prompts to edit images, turn videos of people into clay figures, and do other high-level editing.
Check out photos and videos of the parkway created for her.
In other news:
2. Microsoft gave Insider a preview of how AI and doctors could work together. No, AI will not replace doctors. Instead, it can transcribe doctor-patient conversations, extract relevant medical history, and perform other medical-related tasks. See the partnership here.
3. New boss tweet. Elon Musk announced on Twitter on Thursday that he has chosen a new CEO for Twitter. Two potential candidates are being floated, one from within the company and the other from the media industry. Read about Executives here.
4. Chatgpty helped this heartthrob kick his running addiction. Greg Muschen sought a healthy lifestyle. But every time he tried, he hated running. So he asked ChatGPT to come up with a plan that would make him addicted to running. Run here for the full test.
5. Very happy employees. They are busy during the outbreak. or perform hybrid-remote roles. A new survey of more than 1,500 employees found that 62.3% were satisfied with their jobs in the past year. See the full findings here.
6. TikTok is opening new doors for comedians. Now you can build an audience without the traditional, physical confines of a comedy club. It’s helped them land six-figure deals and made comics a bankable business. Get in on the industry transformation here.
7. Door dash employees threaten customers for extra tips. “I’m canceling this order if not,” wrote one. Another “exploded.” [a customer’s] A phone with question marks.” Submit the story here.
8. Nissan’s new electric Ariya SUV proves that it is still competitive in the electric race. It’s not the flashiest or most crossover EV out there. But the Aria is a beautiful, comfortable vehicle that’s easy to handle. Drive here for details.
Odds and Ends:
9. Best iPhone 14 wallet cases. Size and material are key factors to consider when choosing a wallet. Insider found 15 of the best options on the market, including the “luxury” Mujjo full leather MagSafe case. Find the full list here.
10. Americans love to live abroad. This writer moved from Pennsylvania to Belize and found a new peace of mind. Fly here for her experience. Meanwhile, this woman left Miami for Pakistan, where her quality of life is “infinitely better.” Take a trip to her story here.
Recent People Driven by Tech:
Produced by Diamond Naga Siu in San Diego. (Feedback or tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @diamondnagasiu) Edited by Alistair Barr (Tweet.). @alistairmbarr) in San Francisco and Hallam Bullock (tweet @hallam_bullock) in London.
Watch Now: Top Videos from Insider Inc.