Elon, NC – The Elon lacrosse program (3-3) hosts Virginia Tech (1-4) on Wednesday at 5 p.m. and East Carolina (6-1) on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. as Phoenix looks to gain momentum before conference play in less than two weeks. It starts.
How to follow
- Live stats for Wednesday’s game against Virginia Tech at Click here.
- Wednesday’s game will be broadcast on FloSports Click here.
- Live stats for Sunday’s game against East Carolina are available at Click here But there will be no live streaming of the match.
- Follow Elon Lacrosse’s official social media accounts:
- Twitter – @ElonWLax
- Instagram – @ElonWLax
About Virginia Tech
- Virginia Tech is just 1-4 on the season, but the Hokies have played one of the toughest schedules in the country, having previously faced No. 1 North Carolina, No. 2 Syracuse and No. 8 James Madison.
- The Hokies lost those three contests by a combined score of 34-17, but beat VCU 14-8 in the season opener and lost to Mercer 11-8.
- Virginia Tech currently ranks fourth nationally with a .947 field goal percentage and is 28th in the nation with a .480 save percentage. On the flip side, the Hokies have struggled to create shot attempts, ranking among the bottom 20 in the nation in rebounding and limiting possessions. They are getting just 15.8 hits and 22.8 sacks per game.
- Jocelyn Torres has a .485 save percentage and 49 total saves while averaging 9.8 goals per contest.
- Head coach Kristen Skiera is in her second season at Virginia Tech with a 10-13 career record. After serving seven seasons as the head coach at Army, she has a career mark of 56-53.
About East Carolina
- East Carolina is off to a 6-1 start to the season, with the only blemish coming in a 15-14 loss to a Navy team ranked in the ILWomen/IWLCA Top 25 poll. ECU beat George Mason 14-2 and Queens 11-9 in the last two games Elon faced.
- ECU has a nationally high .940 field goal percentage and allows just 6.9 goals per game, sixth in the nation. Offensively, the Pirates’ .519 shooting percentage is fifth in the nation. ECU, however, doesn’t make much of a difference (6.6 per game).
- Individually, Francis Kimmel is a dynamic player averaging 5.4 points per game with a .889 free-throw percentage. She has 21 goals and 17 assists with a .700 shooting percentage, all of which rank in the top 15 in the nation.
- Head coach Amanda Moore is the only head coach in the six-year history of the East Carolina program. She starts the program from scratch and enters the week with a career record of 31-52, but is 15-10 over the past two seasons. Last year’s team won a program-record nine games and with a 6-1 start this year, the Pirates could be headed for more.
A series of stories
- Virginia Tech is 6-1 all-time against Elon. The two programs have met in each of the last six seasons, with Phoenix defeating the No. 19-ranked Hokies in 2017 with a 13-12 overtime victory. Most recently, Virginia Tech beat Blacksburg 14-11 a year ago.
- This will be the first all-time meeting between Elon and East Carolina.
The past tense
- No. 10 Virginia scored the game’s first and last three goals in an 18-12 victory over Elon on Sunday. Virginia improved to 6-0 with the win.
- Catherine Merritt. Set career highs with five goals and six points in a loss. Hot man Anna Hackett She scored her third hat trick of the season as 10 of the team’s 12 goals were scored by freshmen or sophomores.
- After falling behind 3-0, Elon battled back to draw even at 6-6 and was within one at 9-8 in the third quarter, before Virginia pulled away.
It takes 60 (and sometimes more)
- Elon has led in the fourth quarter in five of its six games this season. Phoenix was as close as three against Virginia in the fourth quarter.
- In the opener, a 12-11 loss to Old Dominion, Elon led 11-10. Hannah McCarthy Goal with 13:46 to play. ODU tied the game at 7:28 and won with a goal at 5:31.
- Elon never trailed against Queens, leading 10-2 at one point and taking a 10-5 lead into the fourth.
- Against VCU, Elon led 7-6 entering the fourth. After VCU tied it with 10:42 left, Elon took an 8-7 advantage over A cerra Hopson 8:59 remaining goal. VCU would win the game with 3:02 left and then overtime.
- In Elon’s last two wins, Phoenix beat George Mason 14-13 and Coastal Carolina 16-15. Elon rallied to score the final three goals of George Mason’s victory, but CCU was outscored in the fourth quarter.
Make it fun
- Four of Elon’s first six games were decided by one goal. Phoenix is 2-2 in those contests.
- With four one-goal games, Elon is one shy of five one-goal games in 2017.
- The 2017 team went 4-1 in one-goal games, including three one-goal wins in the standings (No. 13 Virginia, No. 19 Virginia Tech and No. 17 Towson).
- The 2016 team also played three straight one-goal games, with wins over Coastal Carolina and Duke before a one-point loss at Vanderbilt.
Score at high speed
- Elon has scored 74 goals in the team’s first six games, averaging 12.3 per contest.
- That average puts the 2021 team at 12.4 goals per season, the highest average per season in program history.
- A year ago, Elon averaged 12.2 goals per game, the second highest in school history. Phoenix has never averaged more than 12.0 goals per game in any season.
- second Sammy Fisher In the team’s win over Queens, he set a program record with 12 tackles. She averages 6.33 draw controls per game, most in the CAA and top 20 nationally.
- Fisher tied the program record for single games a year earlier by former teammate Gillian Curren (who was then incarcerated). Curren had 12 draw controls at both Campbell and William & Mary.
- Fisher is tied for fifth in program history with 38 sacks in a season. Elle Hvozdovic (52 in 2014) needs 14 more for fourth. Curran holds the program record with 79 draws from a year ago.
SOPHOMORE CIERRA RESULTS AND RESULTS
- cerra Hopson He leads Elon in 2023 with 15 goals, eight assists and 23 points. In a win over Coastal Carolina earlier this season, she set career highs with five assists and eight points.
- Hopson now has 38 goals and 14 assists for her career. With two more goals, Hopson moves into Elon’s all-time top 10 in career goals and eighth in assists. With 52 career points, she is five shy of breaking into the program’s top 10.
Turn them around
- Elon set several single-game school records in the opener as Phoenix continued to shut out the Monarchs.
- Old Dominion committed 28 turnovers in a game, the most in a single game by an Elon opponent, breaking the previous record of 25 set by William & Mary in 2017.
- Elon forced most of them and committed a school-high 22 turnovers in the game. This broke the record of 18 set against William & Mary in 2017.
- Mikaela Buoscio He was particularly adept at forcing turnovers and tied the program record with seven turnovers in a contest. That ties Melanie McHugh’s seven goals in the 2017 William & Mary game.
- Kali Ehnow, cerra Hopson And Julia Dalmas Each of them forced three changes. Hot man Jesse Penner She forced two for the first time in her collegiate career.
Hackett was named Rookie of the Week
- Elon first person Anna Hackett He was named CAA Rookie of the Week on February 20 after scoring seven goals in two games for Phoenix. Hackett had three goals in a win over Queens and four goals against VCU. She committed four turnovers in the two contests.
Elon among the CAA leaders
- Listed below are Elon’s standings in the CAA through three games:
Group Standings (Top Three)
Goals per game – 3. Elon 12.3
Shooting percentage – 1. Elon .481
Saves per game – 3. Elon 8.0
Draw controls in one game – 3. Elon 13.7
Individual Rankings (Top Ten)
Goals per game – 7. cerra Hopson 2.50
Game assistants – 7. cerra Hopson 1.33
Points per game – t8. cerra Hopson 3.83
Goals on average – 7. Chloe Hergelegio 11.17; 9. Caitlin Walsh 14.02
Save percentage – 2. Chloe Hergelegio .450; 9. Caitlin Walsh .328
Saves per game – 6. Chloe Herghelgiu 5.40; 9. Caitlin Walsh 4.20
Changes in the game – 9. Mikaela Buoscio 1.50
In-game drawing controls – 1. Sammy Fisher 6.33
Elon among the leaders of the NCAA
- Listed below are Elon’s standings in the NCAA through three games:
Team Rankings (Top 25)
Shooting percentage – 18. Elon .481
Individual Rankings (Top 50)
In-game drawing controls – 21. Sammy Fisher 6.3
Free layup percentage – 29. Anna Hackett .667
Points – 44. cerra Hopson 23
Shooting percentage – 34. Camry Levine .600; 46. cerra Hopson .577
Follette receives CAA preseason recognition
- Junior defender Kailee Follette The 2023 CAA Women’s Lacrosse Preseason All-Conference Honorable Mention Team has been named.
- Follett played in all 16 games a year ago, starting 15 times. She led Elon with 26 ground balls and 15 steals.
- She started 27 times in her first two years at Elon.
Team captains are named
- Head coach Josh Hexter Senior named Julia Dalmas And Ellie Strickerwith teenagers Kailee Follette And Mikaela Buoscio As captain for the 2023 season.
- Dilmas is a team leader for the second year in a row and has started all 33 of Elon’s games over the past three years. She has 22 career hits, 32 career field goals and 25 career steals.
- Striker started 14 games in 2022 and had 15 tackles and seven turnovers.
- Follette led the 2022 team with 26 ground balls and 15 turnovers.
- Booscio has played in 25 games over the past two seasons, scoring three goals and three assists in 2022. She went 2-for-2 on free-position shots and added nine ground balls, 12 draw controls and four turnovers.
- Over the 2022 Thanksgiving break, Elon’s lacrosse team spent a week in Greece as part of Elon’s commitment to diversity and global engagement.
- The team spent time exploring the country, visiting places like Athens, Olympia and the Acropolis, as well as conducting lacrosse clinics at various schools.
— Elon —